Thirteen years and counting.....join us as we share our journey toward a cure for type 1 diabetes!

Monday, April 8, 2013

A Great Saturday for Biking

So this last Saturday, Nathan Saxe and I made plans to mark our Blue Tuesday route and sweep off Observatory hill for some fun early season activities!

My night leading up to this was challenging to say the least. I had successfully eaten Bazbeaux on Thursday and thought I would give it a go again on Friday.  For those of you who are not aware, Pizza is one of the bains of T1 Diabetics.  Friday I apparently went one slice to far and spent the entire night correcting for high BG (blood glucose).

By 5:30am when it was time to get ready to go and pick up Nathan, my BG was once again somewhat reasonable at 146.




I stopped and bought Starbucks, stocked up on paint and made it to Nathan's house only 20 minutes late.  Nathan turned out to be an old pro at managing traffic and with the 2 of us working together we had the route to Observatory Hill marked in not time.  The only hitch being when my Ominpod decided to quit on me right around 8am.

We sallied forth and completed our mission anyway & I just kept a close eye on my BG to make sure that I didn't go high again.  By the time I dropped Nathan off at 9:30 I was still only clocking an 88.

Once we finished the marking, we took a little extra time to make the hill safe for cyclists by sweeping off the nearly complete covering of sand that made climbing the hill the hill a bit sketchy to say the least.

When I got to Performance for our last scheduled indoor ride of the season, Sam already had everything set up and we had a great 1 1/2 hour ride with our youngest rider ever, Moses Weaver on the training wheel trainer!

After the class, we took a couple of minutes to make a really hip video, that we will be debuting here in just a few weeks.  It was a lot of fun, the camaraderie was great and 4 of us committed to do the Observatory ride immediately following.... which we did!

We had a pretty serious headwind/crosswind on the way out (20 mph sustained or so - very noisy) so Sam suggested that we work a rotating pace line and we really pulled off  a pretty nice one for a bit.

We kept a pretty leisurely pace out and back, the weather was great and we made it up OH pretty much without incident.  However, Melissa's prediction that if was going to take 4 hours rather than the 2 1/2 I predicted proved to be true.  Good job wife! :) you were right!

This Tuesday kicks off our beginning of the season Blue Tuesday, with this same route every Tuesday until the government takes our daylight away again.

Looking forward to seeing you guys and gals out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indiana Cure Chasers 2010

Indiana Cure Chasers 2010
Death Valley October 2010

For more information about JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes...

Contact the Indianapolis office at 317-469-9604

Go to Indiana Cure Chasers website OR JDRF website.